Navigating a divorce is never easy. It’s common to have many questions about your divorce, especially if it’s your first time going through a separation. When it comes to divorce and family law, you might be wondering if family court can handle both divorce and child custody agreements. Learning more about the function of family courts in Ohio will help you make the right choice for your unique situation. So, does family court handle divorce? Let’s find out.
What is Family Court?
First, it’s important to understand how family courts operate. In Ohio, family court is often referred to as domestic relations court. The Domestic Relations Division is part of the Common Pleas Court in Ohio. Each county has its own family court that offers different services to residents.
Does Family Court Handle Divorce?
Family courts are intentionally designed to deal with disputes surrounding family matters, including divorce or child custody. One of the primary focuses of family courts in Ohio is to settle legal issues that can occur in families. Since each state handles family court issues differently, it’s essential to work with a qualified family lawyer in Ohio to navigate your specific issues.
When is Family Court Needed?
Ohio family courts are designed to handle various claims depending on your specific needs, including divorce. Most family courts handle:
- Marriage and civil unions: Note the eligibility requirements to marry in Ohio must be met.
- Divorce and dissolution of marriage: The court will rule on cases in which separating couples cannot agree on the specific terms to end the union.
- Child custody and visitation: Family courts handle legal and physical custody agreements.
- Child and spousal support: The courts will use physical custody and financial incomes to determine child or spousal support settlements.
- Adoption: Ohio family courts can help in public, private, or independent adoption situations.
- Name changes: Family courts will schedule a hearing for any name change requests associated with a minor.
Ohio Family Court Services
Many situations handled in family court are highly personal, emotional, and unique. When it comes to navigating things like divorce or child custody, you need an experienced family law attorney who understands Ohio family court and can help you navigate the process efficiently. Many services are available through family court to help individuals dealing with complex or emotional family issues, including:
- Self-help centers
- Family mediation services
- Domestic violence support
- Court interpreters
- Court clerks
Since not all family courts offer the same services, it’s in your best interest to seek counsel from a family lawyer. Find one who is well-versed in Ohio’s family court system and can help you learn more about how the domestic relations court handles divorce.
Your Trusted Columbus, Ohio Family Law & Divorce Attorney
Family issues are never easy to navigate. At the Law Offices of Kenneth R. Kline LLC, we understand and proceed with the highest level of sensitivity and support. Our experienced Ohio family law attorneys can help you navigate divorce, child custody, child support and more. If you’re looking for a high-caliber attorney who understands the nuances of family law in Ohio, contact our office for a risk-free consultation in Columbus, Ohio.