The Law Offices of Kenneth R. Kline LLC

Contempt Attorney in Columbus, Ohio

Contempt Attorney Columbus Ohio

Getting you the relief and restitution you are rightly entitled to receive

While the hope is that every party involved in a court case will comply with the defined court orders, that’s often not the case. Especially when it comes to obtaining a Divorce Decree or Parenting Order, there are many emotions at play that could cause one of the parties to ignore or reject the court orders. When that happens, the non-complying party could be found in contempt of the court.

Refusing to pay spousal support, neglecting child support, refusing to let another parent have court ordered parenting time with their child, or disregarding court-ordered distribution of marital property are just some of the ways parents or spouses disobey court orders. When this happens, the next step is typically a return to court for an enforcement of court orders by a judge or magistrate.

If an individual is found to be in contempt of court, they may be:

  • Ordered to Comply with the original court orders
  • Sentenced to jail
  • Ordered to pay monetary sanctions, attorney fees or fines
  • Required to take further action to reinstate compliance (ex. garnishing wages)

Filing a contempt charge against an ex-spouse can seem like a drastic step and it’s best to work with a contempt attorney to decide if it’s truly the best course of action. Attorney Kline and team will work with you to evaluate and explain your options and decide the best next steps for everyone involved. It is our goal to help you work toward a resolution that is fair and efficient.

Necessary Proof for Contempt of Court in Ohio

In Ohio, it is necessary to have a strong case against a former spouse before presenting it in court for the enforcement of court orders. It is not something that is taken lightly in the court of law, so it’s imperative you go into the process prepared.

To build a strong contempt of court case, you must have proof that the other party knew the order existed, willingly disobeyed it, and lacked a valid excuse or defense for the violation.

Once you have obtained necessary proof, you must then take the following steps:

  1. Meet with a lawyer to review the initial court order to determine if your ex-spouse is in violation;
  2. Attempt to negotiate a potential resolution or agreement before taking it to court;
  3. File a contempt motion with the correct court and personally serve the non-complying party with paperwork;
  4. Attend all necessary hearings and bring proof of any violations of the court orders and documentation of all expenses incurred in trying to enforce the orders.

How The Law Offices of Kenneth R. Kline Can Guide You Through a Contempt of Court Filing in Ohio

At the Law Offices of Kenneth R. Kline, we fully sympathize with the frustration that comes from an ex-spouse not complying with court orders. Anger can sometimes cause people to do things that are out of character or malicious in intent. It is our job to help provide some resolution to these issues and help you move forward.

We take the guesswork out of filing a Motion to Show Cause/Motion for Contempt and will hold your hand through every step of the process. It is our goal to help you or your children get what you deserve in a manner that is civilized, efficient and graceful.

Schedule a Consultation With Our Columbus, Ohio Contempt Attorney

The Law Offices of Kenneth R. Kline is located in Columbus, Ohio, and proudly serves families in and around  Delaware County, Grove City, Reynoldsburg, Westerville, Upper Arlington, and Franklin County. It is our goal to help you find a timely resolution that allows you to move on with life. Schedule a risk-free consultation to learn more about contempt of court filings in Ohio.

Call Today for a

Confidential Consultation

Every client’s family and situation are unique please contact us with any questions or for a risk free consultation.

"*" indicates required fields